When gay meant carefree

Yesterday I began to talk about what happens when people twist the meaning of the Scriptures. The first recorded instance of a change in what God spoke happened in the Garden of Eden when Eve changed what God had told Adam about the tree whose fruit they should not eat. I asked my readers to tell a time when they had such an experience and I hope to see some responses in the comment section. I have to go to work, but I will be back near midnight and I hope to have some good examples by then.

My example happened between me and two religion professors at a college I once worked for. The one professor firmly believed that the scriptures that spoke against same-sex sexual relationships did not mean they were sinful. She went to great lengths to take apart the words that were used in the verses that seemingly condemned homosexuality to show that we had lost the original intent of the verses. The second professor, a scholar in both Hebrew and Greek, and expert in the Old Testament told her, kindly and gently that the words DID mean what they said and that the Scriptures repeatedly condemned the practice of same-sex sexual relationships. At the time of this discussion we had several students that were struggling with their own sexual orientation and sought the advice of said professors. Alas, they did not get a clear answer and that, my friends, is a travesty! God makes Himself plain in nature and Paul tells us that “God gave them up to vile affections; for even their women did exchange the natural use for  that which is against nature and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman; burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working that which is unseemly,” Romans 1:26,27a,b.

Verse 25 says they “exchanged the truth of God for a lie,” which takes us back to Eve. Satan is a liar and a slick liar at that. He only has to twist 5% of the truth and keep the other 95% intact and he is able to fool most of us. Only those who have their armor on will be able to stand. Hear this:

Walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them because of the blindness of their heart…Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God that ye may be able to stand against the [ingenious strategies] of the devil.  Hebrews 4:17,18 and 6:10,11

The rest of chapter 6 in Hebrews describes the armor we need to put on. Be sure you do it. It’s tough out there!

Clanging to work,

Dawn

Advertisements

2 comments on “When gay meant carefree

  1. excellent advice…
    Satan is indeed a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour… may God’s people stand firm and steadfast in their Hope of Glory, Jesus our Redeemer!
    As we submit unto God we can resist the devil and he will indeed flee from us.
    Jesus went before us and showed us the way and now in heaven He prays for us.
    Yay for the victory we have in Christ Jesus. My heart swells for Him …
    Thanks for the lessons you share with us. I am so blessed to have a wonderful community of believers that we might encourage one another while it is still day.

  2. Dawn,
    You are SO right–Satan does twist what God says to make people believe a falsehood. He is brazen enough that he even twisted scripture in Matt. 4 where Christ was being tempted. Thanks for standing up for the truth and for leading us, even when the truth is not popular!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s